I am not sure how it happens, but time sure does fly by. If you would of asked me last month where we would be on this project by now, I would have said the footings would be in and a log package on order. But instead, the building site is covered in ice and we still have not decided on a log supplier.
Log Cabin Building Site After Ice Storm
I can handle the set backs with the weather, it’s finding a log supplier that has me the most concerned. Most suppliers need a minimum of six weeks to supply logs and others need up to three months! This is only one of many dilemmas when searching for a log supplier. Some of the other concerns are the species of logs, shape of logs, and of course cost. All of these just add to the chaos of selecting a supplier not to mention all the conflicting “sales” information found on the internet. I want to hold off on talking about this too much and will save the topic for another discussion, but I have a feeling this is one of the most important choices we will make on this project.
Considering the mandatory downtime, I figured this would be a good chance to talk a little about the building site.
The site sits on a ridge just north of a four acre pond that was installed two years ago. I would like to back the cabin up to the edge of the ridge and put the deck over the other side. (more…)